Thursday, June 7, 2007

Every Now and Then They Play Our Song

"We've been having fun all summer long..." Ah, summer has arrived. While this is by no means my favorite season, there are things I love about it: barbecues, blockbusters and beach music. There is nothing like cranking Jan and Dean or the Beach Boys when you are cruising around under the sun. And don't think that their sound has been lost by today's bands.

If you think that the Beach Boys had their day in the sun and have simply drifted away, think again, 'cause indie rock is embracing them as we speak. Don't believe me? Take a listen to these cool tunes and get back to me:

Besnard Lakes - Disaster
Panda Bear - Comfy in Nautica
The Shins - Phantom Limb

Plus you can find some cool covers of God Only Knows by Petra Hayden and Ben Kweller.

And if you are looking for sounds of the summer surf, but don't not necessarily high-pitched harmonizing, I suggest riding the tight guitar riffs of good old fashioned surf music. You may be familiar with Dick Dale, the Surfaris and maybe even the Ventures, but there is newer, faster, harder surf to find.

When it comes to new surf hybrids, you've got to love the sci-fi surf rock of Man or Astroman? Imagine dropping MST3K into a blender with punk and then playing it back through a conch shell and you get this aural treat. Or if you want something more traditional, the Boss Marians sound like they recorded their tracks in the early sixties instead of the late nineties.

On the side, I also have been listening lately to the Cinematics, the Hold Steady, Arthur Hammond jr, and I feel like I am rediscovering Granddaddy. And if you happen to listen to it, can you tell me what you think of the CocoRosie song Rainbowwarriors. I can't tell if it is a good song or not, but the more I hear it, the more it gets stuck in my head and the more I think I might like it.

Same to Same,

Pat Hendry

No comments: