Friday, May 25, 2007

Sprint to get this Print

With Memorial Day upon us, so begins the summer season according to the powers that be. Therefore this is a perfect time to get your summer reading list together. I don't know that the books below are necessarily considered to be especially geared for the beach or for the lazy, hazy days of hot weather and flip-flops, but they are my favorite four books, and I thought I would throw them out there.

Dracula by Bram Stoker: That's right, Dracula. Price of the undead, vampire extraordinaire, long fangs, pale skin, night owl. I originally was turned off by the fact that the book is written as an epistolary, which is to say that all the chapters in the book are diary entries or letters written to other people or even newspaper articles; but in retrospect, this style of writing almost makes this supernatural tale feel more like a memoir of real events. Even in this day and age, this book is chilling. There are people I know who couldn't keep reading this book at night because they were being instilled with feelings of dread. If you think you know the whole story from seeing countless (well, there is always at least one Count) screen adaptations, think again, for few movies come close to touching upon all the major plot points, or even characters, in the novel. Lastly, don't be afraid that this novel is simply cheap, paperback horror writing, it is as beautiful a piece of literature as any I have read, which I am sure accounts for it being deeply embedded in our culture.

Catch 22 by Joesph Heller: I was never assigned to read this book in high school or college, and I count that among my blessings. When I tackled this book as an adult, I felt that I was probably better able to appreciate the black comedy and irony that saturates nearly every paragraph of this WWII surreal experience. Trying to describe this book is almost a waste of time, it is something that needs to be read to really understand; but, I promise you comedy, tragedy, action, stagnation, logic, nonsense and above all...satire. This book empowers its reader by fine tuning your mind into an instrument that can recognize the inherent hypocrisy and sheer silliness in the extremes of love, life and war.

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein: This novel can be found in the science fiction section of your local bookstore, but don't let that turn you off it that is not your scene. This book is more social commentary than Star Wars. Heinlein merely uses the fantastic nature of the genre to create situations above and beyond the norm; these in turn give him the chance to show us the kind of world we could live in. Emotionally engaging, and often dealing with the ever complicated world of our sexuality, this book will challenge the way you approach relationships with people, and gives the reader a chance to look at society from a fresh pair of eyes for awhile. Time Enough for Love and I Will Fear No Evil are two other works of his that I find equally successful critiques of some of the more sensitive areas of our social norm.

The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson: Ok, so this is really a series of three novels following the adventures of a myriad of characters both fictional and real. It takes place in the late 1600's and is the most entertaining and informational history course I have ever taken. I think I learned more about the origins of modern science, theories of economy and currency, and European history than my combined years of knowledge leading up to my reading of this trilogy. That being said, it is by no means boring. Stephenson is sharp as a tack and makes me laugh out loud. His characters, even those based on real historical figures, are driven by the most outrageous (and sometimes depraved) motives. If you can muscle your way through the intimidating size of this body of work, and embrace his sometimes longer than necessary tangents, you will find yourself rewarded at the end with a breadth of knowledge and a satisfying adventure. To try the author on for size in a smaller piece of work, I also recommend Cryptonomicon or Snow Crash.

None of these appeal to you? Here's the short list of some things I've read over the past year or so:

Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist: Nice thriller set in England during the 1800's. One part science fiction, one part adventure.
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks: Disturbing little read about the strange, isolated existence of a young serial killer who has more secrets than even he knows.
Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forrester: Adventure on the high seas. Quick reads with plenty of smart action.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Suzanna Clarke: What if there were actually a wizard or two in England trying to bring back the practice in the 1800's. This book is not simply Harry Potter for adults.

So get your mind out and about this summer, and pick up something to read...and if you have some time, let me know what else I should be looking to read.

Same to same,

Capt. Patrick Hendry

No comments: